Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Long time no post, so, time for some 3.2 Q&A (Part 1)

So what's happening? Yeah, been a while since I've posted but, I've been busy with other things as usual, and my PTR testing has been spoiled due in part to speed hackers in battlegrounds, arena, and even dueling sometimes. Funny thing is, I ended up killing 3/5 of the guys who didn't know what they were doing with the hacks, but that's another story.

I decided to make a Q&A about the PTR, using some questions that I've received from people on the PTR and live, asking my opinion on the new changes, here goes

Q: Vidication, should I really invest my points into this talent? It only affects attack power now, therefor making it worthless to 3 classes in the game totally, and 5 specs of the hybrids.
A: It's a hard choice really, and I see it coming down to personal preference, or what setups/brackets of arena you'd be playing in. Seeing as how most 3v3 arena right now is cleave, it would be good. However, with 3v3 and 5v5 getting all the attention now, don't count on tons of cleave comps. I more than likely will not be specing into this, hypocritical from my last post, but further testing has made me not really care for the talent.

Q: Pally damage is going down, how do we kill stuff? I've been reading in forums everywhere that Ret damage is pretty "lol" now, and that we'll rely on a MS class to kill things.
A: This isn't true. Yes, seal damage is lower, and Crusader Strike's damaged was lowered. The difference here though is the re-addition of Exorcism back into the Ret rotation and the four second cooldown of Crusader Strike allows for less of that "waiting on cooldowns" dps feel that the current Crusader Strike can have in certain situations. That's just from a PvP stantpoint, our PvE damage from what I understand is quite a bit higher, but I'll adress seals later. Overall, I'd say our damage is a little higher than it is now.

Q: How's Ret's survivabilty now? With the removal of Seal of Blood/Martyr, does it really feel different? And Art of War?
A: First, Art of War is different, but some people got this wrong for a while on forums, and even I did (I think) on my first PTR post. It is now being activated by all melee crits (this includes Judgements), allowing for a pretty reliable (if not up the whole time) stream of AoW procs. Also another change to note is that you choose now, you either cast an instant cast Exorcism (1.5 sec cast now, forgot to mention, sorry holy and prot) or the usual Flash of Light. Another change is Sacred Shield, and this is my favorite. If you have this active, and cast flash on a target, they get a HoT for 100% of the Flash of Light spell you cast. Combine that with a critical heal, and you'll have two HoTs rolling on your target with sacred shield, providing some very decent, if not borderline over powered self heals. Survial is up 75% I'd say, which is pretty high, seeing as we can survive pretty well right now if played right.

Q: The resilience changes seems to be a double edged sword...On one hand we benefit more from wearing mostly PvP gear, but the same can be said for the people we go up against with heavy resil, healers in particular. What's your opinion, stick with mostly PvE gear or migrate to PvP gear and give up some damage?
A: Well, I for one never liked PvE gear being so dominant in PvP. I really liked how it was in BC, when resil gear was usually always better than anyone rocking full PvE gear, especially in the case of Warriors, and Paladins. Only class back then that could get away with nothing but PvE gear were rogues, but that's blizzard's fault for making their PvP gear always bad compared to their PvE loots. If you must, you can maybe get away with wearing PvE gear as usual, but don't expect do be doing all the damage you are doing currently. With the nerfs in damage, and buffs in resil, the guys in full resil gear will be hitting you harder than you are hitting them. Since a Ret with around my resil (773), which comes out to be a 9.43% damage reduction and and 20% crit damage reduction (unless of course the static stacks with crit, in which case you're looking at a loss of 30% damage on crits, unsure on that at the moment). That gear vs someone with maybe about 150 more ap than what I have, but 100-200 less resil is substantial. If you wear PvE gear, you do so at your own risk.

Well, that's going to do it for this Q&A tonight, going to bed. I'll be back with some more answered questions. Hope it was helpful :)

No comments: